For this Assignment, you will write two initial assessment requests. Use the information included in the two case studies (i.e., mock client scenarios) below as the foundation for your initial assessment requests. For each case study, provide a 1â€“2-page essay response to each of the required sections below. In addition to the information provided in the case studies, use the materials provided in previous units and peer-reviewed, behavior analytic resources from the Purdue University Global Library to demonstrate that your recommendations in each section are based in relevant research literature and best practice standards.
- Biopsychosocial History: Write a biopsychosocial history of the client and discuss the implications for behavior analytic services. Include a recommendation for the scope of behavior analytic services likely required for this client. Take care to include all of the information provided in the case study, but you do not need to add any other hypothetical information
- Prioritization of Target Behaviors: Describe how behaviors targeted for change have been prioritized for assessment. This section should include an actual list prioritizing the target behaviors from the behavior(s) that will be assessed first to the behavior(s) that will be assessed last. Discuss the social validity of the prioritized list of target behaviors. (This section may include hypothetical information that is outside the content provided in the case study. That is, you may write in the past tense and pretend that you have used specific procedures to prioritize the target behaviors and confirm the social validity of the list.)
- Proposed Assessment Sequence: Propose an assessment sequence for the client. Review safeguards that will be included to ensure that all assessments are conducted in an ethical manner. (You do not need to describe the procedures used in each assessment. Just identify what type(s) of assessments will be conducted, when, and why)
- Preference Assessment: Design a preference assessment to identify likely reinforcers for the client. Be specific; that is, include technical descriptions of all procedures to be used and why the specific preference assessment chosen would be the best option for the client.
Case Study 1 â€“ Mike Crafone
- 4-year-old boy
- Lives with mother, grandmother, older sister
- Identified by his school district as having a developmental delay
- Qualified for and enrolled in early intervention program in school district at age 2.5 years
- Attendance at the early intervention program has been sporadic due to transportation difficulties the family has been experiencing
- Early intervention program has one BCBA on staff, but the program is not behavior analytic in nature and the BCBA has never met or assessed Mikeâ€™s behavior
- Diagnosed by a developmental pediatrician at age 3.5 years with autism spectrum disorder. According to the developmental pediatrician, he is physically healthy.
- Recommended for ABA services by the social worker at the developmental pediatricianâ€™s clinic
- Mother isnâ€™t certain about what ABA is, but she has heard from other parents on the internet that she can get help at home
- School district still is trying to determine what special education services, if any, will be needed when he enters kindergarten in approximately one year from now
- Mother reports that he
- Flaps his hands and squeals quite often
- Hits his head with his fists and bangs is head on surfaces. He has broken a tooth from this.
- Runs away from her in public places
- Can repeat words that people say to him, but he doesnâ€™t always do it. He does not spontaneously produce words.
- Is a picky eater. She often canâ€™t figure out what he wants to eat.
- Canâ€™t complete any self-help routines that commonly can be completed by 4-year-olds (e.g., putting on slip-on shoes)
- Requests items or activities by leading her by the hand to certain locations
- Is not toilet-trained
Case Study 2 â€“ Earl E. Bird
- 12-year-old boy
- Lives with mother, father, and younger twin sisters
- Diagnosed with oppositional defiant disorder by his familyâ€™s psychiatrist
- Has been attending individual and family counseling for two years
- Recommended for ABA services by his familyâ€™s counselor. She stated that he needs to â€œwork on his social skillsâ€
- Has never received any ABA services in the past
- Does not receive any special education services at school
- Has been suspended for getting in a fight and then â€œtalking backâ€ to the principal
- Pediatrician reports that he is physically healthy and is proceeding through puberty at a developmentally-appropriate rate
- Parents report that he
- Has physically attacked family members (one of his sisters had to have stiches after he pushed her off a slide)
- Yells profanities in public places
- Does well on standardized testing in school when he tries, but his grades vary dramatically
- Likes video games and anime and doesnâ€™t like anything he considers â€œbabyishâ€
- Tries to be private about his social life
- Follow Assignment directions (review grading rubric for best results).
- Use correct APA formatting per the APA Publication Manual, 7th Edition.
- Title Page
- Use proper headings for each question
- Reference Page