· How did the National Security Act of 1947 reshape U.S. military, intelligence, and foreign policy for the Cold War era?
· Explain the basic idea of “Containment” as described by George Kennan in his “Long Telegram” (located in the Course Reader). Compare and contrast the implementation of Containment policies by the Truman administration and the Eisenhower administration.
· What was the Second Red Scare? How did it affect American society? How does fear remain relevant in modern politics?
· What are the major lessons of the Cold War? How are those lessons impacting foreign policy decisions today? Provide a few examples citing current events.
· What lessons have not been taken into account in modern American foreign policy decisions? What risks are associated with repeating the mistakes of the past?